Skip to main content

A weekend away

So baby girl arrived on October 27, 2016. From someone who travels a lot, spends time with friends every chance I get and enjoys a cold one- the last four and a half months have been rough. Not because she has been a difficult child or that the majority my friends have not been supportive, but my life has moved to work, get a babysitter so I can work some more, sleep, play with the baby in the evening and sometimes see my friends. I have felt guilty about getting a babysitter on weekends or evenings because I want to make sure she feels loved and not passed off to other people all the time. Now I know that it is better for parents to have that time away, trust me, I teach it to prospective foster parents but when you are in the throws of life and working 87 hours in 2 weeks (all during her wake hours) taking more time away from her doesnt seem fair.

A male friend of mine said something to me a couple months ago on one of those rare nights I got to go out (it was cut short because she got the flu and I had to come home and be thrown up on all night) but as I was venting to him about not having a moment to myself, he said “but you signed up for this, right?” I signed up for this. Lets take a moment to let that digest. One, way to make me feel guilty for my feelings. Two, yes I did sign up for this but it doesn’t mean I don't deserve some me time. You can't be there for other people if you are so burnt out and can't take care of yourself. That’s cardnial rule of caregiving. So I am here to tell you it’s okay to take a little time away. It doesnt make you a bad parent. Reminding yourself of that is the first step and then do it.

So I am taking my advice. Telling my friend to shut up. I did sign up for this and I can’t imagine not having baby girl in my home. But this jet setting momma needs a break and I am taking time away. Baby girl will be staying with my parents this weekend while I sprint and I mean full run to the airport to spend 48 hours in Vegas. No responsibilities, no putting someone else's happiness and needs first, 48 hours of me time and boy bands :).

**I wrote this post on the plane to Vegas. It has been 48 hours and I am finally home. Getting my girl after daycare tomorrow and it can’t get here soon enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Foster Shower :)

Wow 2 posts in 2 days! Baby steps!! Back in May I was given the most amazing Foster Shower by 2 of my best friends. It was absolutely gorgeous. It included all of my closest friends and family.  Plus it gave me a reason to finally use one of those registry guns! Check out the pictures below of the amazing afternoon filled with so much love and support!!           Fisher's Foster Tree has begun!!! :) It's hanging in the hallway and we are ready for you kids!!! The door is open and I can't wait to meet you!! (neither can everyone else!)

The First "No"

It happened. I got a call. And then it broke my heart because I had to say no. The thoughts going through my head when that call came in was excitement and then heartbreak as there was another child who needed a home. As my social worker began to describe the living situation of the children (yes they were siblings and it was 2 sets that needed a home), my heart began to break. As the shock of their situation was wearing down off of me, the first set of siblings had found a foster home and I was not needed. As my social worker began describing the next set of siblings my heart sank. There was more of them then my home would allow. I have a crib and a twin bed, there was 4 of them over the age of 5.  Even if we split the kids up and did 2 in 1 home and 2 in another, I still did not have enough beds. It was so hard to say no, I can't take the kids. I didn't want to say no, but taking in 2 kids over the age of 5 with only 1 bed was no a feasible option. So now, I wait for anot

So close I can feel it

Received a wonderful phone call today! It was from my social worker. All information has been submitted to her supervisor which means the next step is to the State of Ohio! She just needed 1 more paper from me and it is off to the races. Her exact words were "you are just days away! This is getting exciting!" Now due to our past issues with timelines I am not jumping for joy just yet. When that application comes back approved from the state I will be screaming from the roof tops! (And will finally share this blog with my facebook world!). It is so close, I can feel it. Things are FINALLY starting to look up in life. Now if I could just find that husband it would be a trifecta of a week! LOL ;)